The following social events are planned;
- Sunday: Welcome reception at the SAAO
- Tuesday: Public talk by Jocelyn Bell Burnell on "Will the world end in 2012?" at the University of Cape Town
- Wednesday: Free afternoon
- Thursday: Conference dinner at Marimba.
A 3-day excursion is planned for the weekend after the conference; 16 - 18 April 2011. The itinerary is as follows;
- 16 April 2011: visit the Southern African Large Telescope (SALT) at Sutherland. Overnight in Sutherland.
- 17 April 2011: visit the Karoo Array Telescope (MeerKAT) at Canarvon. Overnight in Canarvon.
- 18 April 2011: return to Cape Town by late afternoon.
The cost for the abovementioned tour is;
- Single person: R2,700
- Per person sharing: R2,500
Costs include transport, accommodation and meals (excl. surcharge on Kosher/Halaal meals). Tours can be booked through Chris de Coning at